Numbness of the hands in pregnancy is caused by B12 deficiency, diabetes and depending on variety of reasons. The neurology department takes care of hand numbness in pregnancy.
Why Hand and Arm Numbness Occur in Pregnancy?
Water Retention in Body
The most common cause of hand and arm numbness during pregnancy is water retention in the body. An increase in blood volume during pregnancy and the increase in progesterone hormone due to accumulation of edema of arterial. As the blood volume in the body increases during pregnancy and the accumulation of edema due to the increase in progesterone hormone pressures the arterial and nerve endings, blood circulation is weakened. Swelling and numbness are seen in the hands and ankles.
Due to such swelling, pregnant women have difficulty in walking and the shoes begin to squeeze. This situation usually occurs between 6th and 9th months of pregnancy.
Approximately 6 liters of water is absorbed in the body depending on body weight and fat accumulation during pregnancy.
Water retention(edema) causes numbness of the hand and arms in the body.
Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Vitamin B12 is a vital vitamin responsible for the production of red blood cells and the proper functioning of nerve cells. It is also a basic vitamin that helps fetal growth and development during pregnancy. If vitamin B12 is lacking in the body during pregnancy, this increases the likelihood of brain and spinal cord defects in the baby.
Vitamin B12 affects nerve cells controlling numbness of the hand and arms in the body.
Treatment of Hand Numbness in Pregnancy?
To treat hand and arm numbness in pregnancy, the following methods should be applied:
- Pregnant woman should take care of nutritional balance and avoid the foods generating edemas.
- Pregnant woman should not lie on hands while sleeping.
- Pregnant woman should reduce salt consumption and increase her water intake at the same time.
- Pregnant woman should move her wrists. Such as; continuously using mouse triggers hand numbness.
- Light touch massage to the wrists will reduce numbness. The wrists should be rest frequently.
- The foods which contain calcium, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin B, magnesium and iron should be consumed.